DIY Beauty Facial At Home // MissBeautyEmily

22:01

DIY Beauty Facial At Home
This time last year I had no idea what a spa facial was and would never have considered having a treatment done.. since training as a beauty therapist I've been learning all types of treatments including a male and female facial. Facials are a great way to treat your skin to a detox by using a range of specific skin treats to help combat any issues you may have. Today's post is going to talk you through how you can achieve one at home with the aid of easy to buy products and also the handy facial steamer from Panasonic. 

1. Cleanse
The first step of a routine (after figuring out your concerns and assumed skin type) is to do a full cleanse of your skin. There are so many cleansers out there on the market so the product you choose would rely entirely on your budget. I was taught to do a pre-cleanse and then a full cleanse with any product of my choice from the Dermalogica collection. An eye and lip cleanse is also recommended to get rid of any pesky makeup! I highly recommend trying the Dermalogica Pre-cleanse and have actually ordered a bottle myself because it literally melts away foundation and other face products with ease. For your second cleanse, it's best to use one suited to your skin. In my case, I'd use an oily skin specific product but it will obviously differ between people. Boots have a page full of different cleansers here.

2. Tone & Analysis
Toning after a cleanse is great to be sure all traces of dirt, oil and impurities are removed effectively before putting any product on the skin. There are lots of toners available and I just tend to get any toner that's available, usually a Simple one. Now the analysis part is probably the most difficult to do at home. A therapist will use a mag-lamp to look at your skin and decide what type of skin you have and what concerns there may be such as acne, redness, sensitivity, dehydration etc. I would recommend having a little look in a magnified mirror yourself and seeing whether you can determine what you feel your skin type is and if you have any concerns.

3. Exfoliate
Exfoliation usually happens after a skin analysis to help remove any surface dead skin cells to create a smoother look. If you have oily skin then a normal scrub is recommended. I love to use scrubs such as the St. Ives Pink Lemon & Madarin. If you have dry, dehydrated or sensitive skin then a gentle scrub is recommended! I was taught to use Microfoliant from Dermalogica which is a powder that you mix in with water to create a light paste that gently removes the surface cells without being too harsh or abrasive. 

4. Steam
If you're a female then steaming is very recommend! If you're a male then the skin warming device used is hot towels which are used to help open up the pores of the tough male skin. I came across this nifty little facial steamer from Panasonic which is an at-home steamer that you simply place in front of you. Steaming is essential if you want product to get deep within the skin and work well so I always recommend this step. You can even use this specific steamer as a way of removing makeup (even mascara) or as a primer before makeup. 

5. Mask
In a professional facial there would be a full face, chest, shoulder and neck massage but unfortunately that's something not achievable on your own (I wish!) so the next step would be a mask. Masks differ entirely with what your problem areas and skin type is. Multi-masking has become quite a big thing too so if you suffer with multiple concerns, you can apply different masks to different areas. I love using clay masks such as the Bloomtown Botanicals Clay & Tea Tree Mask for my oily, spot-prone skin. 

6. Tone & Moisturise
The last step is to tone once more and moisturise! As mentioned above, toning gets rid of leftover product, oils and impurities whilst closing up the pores so that they are no longer open to the elements. Moisturising is very important no matter what skin type you have, it helps to prevent your skin drying out and looking aged. If you're wanting a good heavy duty moisturiser then once more I recommend looking into Dermalogica but if you're on a budget then check out the Simple moisturiser that cater for different skin types.

Voila! That is your easy at-home facial complete and you're on your way to healthy, glowing skin! I highly recommend doing this thorough treatment every 4 weeks to ensure your skin is at it's best. I admittedly was never really into skin care until I started my course but now I can't get enough of it and I'm really enjoying the benefits.

- Emily x

Image credit: https://starsskincare.com/shop/treatments/facials/acne-facial/

* I was paid for the mention of the Panasonic Facial Steamer, all opinion are my own

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram